About the business
The Australian Agricultural Company has been passionately perfecting the Art of Australian Beef since 1824. It’s what we do. Not only are we the oldest continuously operating company in Australia, but also the largest producer of beef, with the ability to deliver consistently at scale. We combine generations of farming heritage with stewardship over some of the world’s finest cattle country and the most advanced, innovative technologies available to deliver premium beef to the world’s most discerning consumers.
Avon Downs is 70km west of Camooweal, Queensland and 250km northwest of Mount Isa. Austral Downs, which borders Avon, spans the Northern Territory and Queensland border and situated 100km south west of Camooweal and 300km west of Mount Isa. Both properties are breeding stations, producing cattle for AACo’s Wagyu brands.
In the position of Cook at Avon Downs, you will showcase your ability to prepare nutritious meals for multiple people, with high attention to detail for stock ordering, excellent kitchen hygiene standards, a friendly and flexible approach and a strong work ethic.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform your job in a safe manner in line with AACo safety programs and procedures
- Keep a clean hygienic kitchen and dining room
- Prepare nutritious meals for station staff and visitors as required, in line with station meal times and schedules
- Ensure sufficient supply of lunch and morning tea meals are prepared and available for staff
- Ensure adequate variety and consideration of dietary requirements
- Prepare grocery lists, maintain adequate supplies, as well as complete meal planning and stores planning
- Assist with the packing of meat for the kitchen
- Maintain kitchen utensils in good order
- Previous experience in a similar role an advantage
- Experience at managing a kitchen and providing meals to schedule
- An understanding of dietary nutrition and food hygiene
- High level of organisational skills to plan meals
- Be prepared to live and work in a remote location
- A friendly and flexible approach and someone who likes to be part of a strong team
Benefits and perks
- Accommodation and meals included
- Internal transfer and development opportunities
- Team orientated environment and active social club
Life on station – what can I expect?
- We have an active social club and the staff enjoy socializing on weekends off around the district.
- Station owned Jet ski utilised for water sports
- Opportunity to attend campdrafts and races during the year