About the business
The Australian Agricultural Company has been passionately perfecting the Art of Australian Beef since 1824. It’s what we do. Not only are we the oldest continuously operating company in Australia, but also the largest producer of beef, with the ability to deliver consistently at scale. We combine generations of farming heritage with stewardship over some of the world’s finest cattle country and the most advanced, innovative technologies available to deliver premium beef to the world’s most discerning consumers.
Brunette Downs is situated 350km north east of the nearest town, Tennant Creek. Mount Isa, Queensland, is 660km south east of Brunette Downs and is the Station’s main service town. The property comprises of mostly open downs country and is involved in the breeding and backgrounding of the companies Australian Composite.
We are looking for an exceptional leader to join the crew at Brunette as Head Stockperson, If successful you will join a long history of leaders that have reaped the rewards that such a large scale operation can give you, with exposure across both breeding and backgrounding for a corporate company the limit for where your career can go is only set by yourself. Your role will directly contribute to the success of the Station through a vast range of station and leadership duties. You will also ensure your team are trained on a variety of tasks from working with cattle, machinery, chemicals, maintenance and general station duties.
Reporting to Management, you’ll be a proactive and positive leader of the crew, who has a passion for cattle, our industry and striving for the best from and for your team.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Perform your job in a safe manner in line with AACo safety programs and procedures, and drive a safe work culture for your team
• Manage the welfare of all livestock according to the Code of Practice
• Organise mustering teams and implement animal husbandry programs
• Record accurate and prompt stock numbers for the company’s livestock information system
• Lead and train station stock staff into an effective livestock handling team
• Maintain paddock security with reference to gates and fences
• Effective communication with Management
• Lead and train station stock staff into an effective operational team.
• In conjunction with Management implement annual maintenance and capital improvement programs, including budget and development goals
• Build an understanding of cost of production, risk management, budgets and cost benefit analysis
• Record accurate stock numbers for the company’s livestock information system
• Ensure the station meets the requirements of the company Quality Assurance program
• Implement the environmental and natural resources programs on the station and support the manager with the maintenance of appropriate records.
• Experience working with cattle
• Ability to develop and maintain a safe working horse plant.
• Excellent organisational and people management skills
• Preference and skill for working collaboratively in team environments
• Focuses on and personally cares about ensuring AACo is a great place to work
• Strong communicator with the desire to be an effective leader of a team of young men and women
Benefits and perks
• Accommodation and food included
• Active Large social club and store
• Onsite air-conditioned gym
• Horse training facility’s with camp draft arena at the house
Standard events through the year
• Annual Brunette races
• Camp drafts, rodeos and charity events
• King Ash Bay hosts some of the best fishing the NT can provide only a 5 hour drive north from the station
• Brunette owns 2 fishing boats for use by all staff on booking, a ski boat and Jet Ski for the water hole that is a two minute walk from the homestead.
To apply, please email your application to: email@example.com or visit our Careers page.