About the business
The Australian Agricultural Company has been passionately perfecting the Art of Australian Beef since 1824. It’s what we do. Not only are we the oldest continuously operating company in Australia, but also the largest producer of beef, with the ability to deliver consistently at scale. We combine generations of farming heritage with stewardship over some of the world’s finest cattle country and the most advanced, innovative technologies available to deliver premium beef to the world’s most discerning consumers.
Eva Downs, is located approximately 300km north east from Tennant Creek and is set in the hub of the Northern Territory’s Barkly Tablelands on the historic Barkly Stock route. Eva Downs is involved in the breeding, backgrounding and trade of high-grade Brahman cross cattle, which are turned off predominantly for live export.
As a Head Stockperson, your role will directly contribute to the success of the Station through a vast range of station and leadership duties. No two days will be the same and your work with the team will ensure smooth and safe operations. You will also ensure your team are trained on a variety of tasks from working with cattle, machinery, chemicals, maintenance and general station duties.
Reporting to the Station Manager, you’ll be a proactive and positive leader of the crew, who has a passion for cattle, working outdoors and pushing for excellence.
Duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Perform your job in a safe manner in line with AACo safety programs and procedures, and drive a safe work culture for your team
- Manage the welfare of all livestock according to the Code of Practice
- Organise mustering teams and implement animal husbandry programs
- Record accurate and prompt stock numbers for the company’s livestock information system
- Lead and train station stock staff into an effective livestock handling team
- Maintain paddock security with reference to gates and fences
- Effective communication with Station Manager and staff
- Lead and train station stock staff into an effective operational team.
- In conjunction with Manager implement annual maintenance and capital improvement programs, including budget and development goals
- Build an understanding of cost of production, risk management, budgets and cost benefit analysis
- In conjunction with Manager, review financial performance and livestock transactions regularly to ensure profitability, using sale feedback and kill data
- Record accurate stock numbers for the company’s livestock information system
- Ensure the station meets the requirements of the company Quality Assurance program
- Implement the environmental and natural resources programs on the station and support the manager with the maintenance of appropriate records.
- Experience working with cattle
- Able to ride a horse and/or motorbike
- Excellent organisational and people management skills
- Preference and skill for working collaboratively in team environments
- Focuses on and personally cares about ensuring AACo is a great place to work
- Strong communicator and recognise that you don’t always have all the answers
- Whilst majority of our accommodation is suited towards single employees, we have the ability to accommodate a couple should both individuals be able to fill required vacancies on station.
Benefits and perks
- Accommodation and meals included
- Internal transfer and development opportunities
- Team orientated environment and active social club
Life on station – what can I expect?
- Eva Downs is a geographically remote and isolated station, positioned 8 hours drive to Mt Isa, 9 hours to Darwin with 90km’s of dirt road to reach the property.
- Close network with other stations providing great opportunities for social events and functions.
- Having your own vehicle will provide independence whilst living on station, 4wd vehicles are preferable however full access for most vehicles isn’t an issue in the dry months.