4 x 200g beef cheeks, excess fat and sinew trimmed
1½ tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 large carrots, peeled, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 cups (500ml) beef stock
2 bay leaves
2 thyme sprigs
2 bunches broccolini, steamed
300g green beans, steamed
- Preheat oven to 180ºC (160º fan-forced). Pat beef dry with paper towel and place in a large snap lock bag. Add flour, season and toss to coat.
- Heat half the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over medium heat. Cook beef for 3-4 minutes, in batches, if necessary, until browned. Set beef aside on a plate. Add remaining oil to same dish and cook onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 3-4 minutes. Add passata, stock, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to the boil and return beef to dish. Remove from heat, cover surface with a circle of baking paper and cover with a lid.
- Cook in oven for 2¼ -2½ hours or until tender. Season to taste, remove and discard bay leaves and thyme stalks.
- Serve beef cheeks with steamed vegetables and polenta. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Beef cheeks could be substituted with lean diced chuck or gravy beef.
- Sweet potato mash, basmati rice or wholemeal cous cous would also be healthy and delicious options to serve with the beef cheeks.
- This recipe is ideal to freeze.